Count down to Due date of my Second Blessing

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cucumber Green Pachadi

This is a raita or as we say pachadi I make when I want to add a dash of colour to my Menu. Also it has the advantage of being healthy, as the green corriander has a beneficial effect of reducing the piththam when we eat very rich foods. It helps in digestion. The pudina leaves act as carminative and prevents gas problems, curd and cucumber are coolants. If we look into the medicinal qualities of the food we eat, then we will not have to take medicine as food.



Ingredients:

Cucumbers (baby variety) - 4 - 6 (Cut in even sized pieces)
(If using Large Cucumber with developed seeds remove the peel and seeds)
Green Chillies - 1-2 (depending on your spice tolerance)
Small (Sambhar Onions) - 3-4 nos peeled and chopped
Garlic - 1 clove
Curry leaves - One sprig
Corriander Cleaned and chopped - 1/2 cup
Pudina cleaned and chopped - 1/2 cup
Pepper jeera Powder - 1/2 tsp
salt to taste
Curd - 1 to two cups.

In the small jar of the mixie or blender add all items excepting cucumber and yoghurt and blend to a paste, add a little yoghurt to help with the process if necessary. Mix with the cut cucumber pieces. Check for salt just before serving because the little salt you add at the beginning will draw the water out of the cucumber.

Doesn't the tomato rose look good against the green of the Raita?
You can mix salt with the cucumber pieces, wait for ten mins and drain away the water from the cucumber, but I prefer not to waste the minerals in the cucumber in that way. You can add drained curd but same problem. I dont have the patience to store the drained water to use in something else. I am not such a good girl.

I vary the spice level depending upon what I am serving, for less spicy items I add more chillies or pepper jeera powder, for spicy Biriyanis, Variety rice the pachadi is almost bland. I remove the seeds in the green chillies.

I am watching endrendum raaja on Jaya TV. Ilayaraja = Genius. No more words are necessary.

I am sending this to Zesty palette Series # 3 - New U Event by Vardhini.


I am also sending this to Gimme Green by Rosh


6 comments:

  1. Wow .. pachadi looks super and love the tomato :). Thx for linking to the event.

    Vardhini
    Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
    Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very healthy and simple recipe. Please link your post to my event page since you have listed this on my space. Thanx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx a lot Fathima. Happy blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...