Count down to Due date of my Second Blessing

Monday, January 9, 2012

Lemon Rice

Today I am going to post a simple recipe which is Lemon Rice Elumichcai sadham in Tamil and chitranna in Kannada. It is fragrant, and keeps well and so it is a favoured item in Picnics, lunch boxes. It is also quick to make and so was a weekly regular in my kitchen. My daughter loves it. Add a raw salad, fried chicken or pappadoms for protien and a cup of buttermilk to wash it all down and you have a complete meal. So here goes the recipe:

Lemon Rice


Rice - 1 cup - Cook with salt to taste as per your preferred method, but it should not be mushy. The grins should be well cooked but seperate.
Fresh Lemon juice - 1/4 cup
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped fine
Green Chillies - 2-3 Chopped
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Chana dal (Kadalai paruppu) 1 tbsp - soaked in water for around ten mins and drain well.
Udad dal and mustard seeds 1/2 tsp each
Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp

Ingredients for Lemon Rice (Lemon Juice with turmeric & Hing, Chana dal soaking in water, Green chillies, Chopped ginger, curry leaves, Mustard, udad dal)


Spread cooked rice on a plate. Mix Lemon juice, hing and turmeric powder in a small bowl. Add to rice and mix well to coat. The Rice will turn to a delightful yellow colour.

Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and udad dal. when mustard seeds splutter add curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and then the drained chana dal. stir for a few mins till the chana dal is fried. Add in the rice and toss well. Your Fragrant Lemon Rice is ready.

You can reduce the amount of lemon juice if you wish, but my family likes it really tangy and spicy.

I am sending this recipe to Any One Can Cook: Series 37 by Umm Mymoonah and Let's Cook #11 ~ Rice by Radhika.


3 comments:

  1. This is one of the best picnic food, looks very yummy! Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I wasn't sure what to eat, my mom always made lemon rice. Too bad I haven't made it a single time ever since I got married. Now I really should!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my space Fathima and many thanks for linking it to the event too. One of the favored rice recipes during picnics.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...